Your identity is one of your most important assists. Violation of your identity is frightening and can be costly, but most consumers tell themselves it cannot happen to them. These recent headlines may change your mind.
There are many things you can do to protect yourself from identity theft;
1. Consider adding Identity Theft Insurance from to your insurance policy.
2. Create a PIN that is not too easy to crack, i.e. don’t use “(your name)123”
3. Don’t give out your Social Security number to people you don’t know.
4. Consider reducing the credit cards in your wallet. Only travel with what you need.
5. Shred all financial statements before placing in trash.
6. Check your credit report annually.
7. Don’t put your birthday on your social media site.
8. Be careful about opening links you find in emails, know the source.
9. Destroy digital data.
10. Be diligent about checking statements. Review all transactions monthly.
Remember that just being aware of, and doing, these things can reduce the possibility of identity theft.