Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Almost every business needs, and is required to have, workers’ compensation (WC) insurance. Most states (with a few important exceptions) essentially require employers to purchase a workers’ compensation insurance policy to handle their statutory obligations to workers who are injured or made ill due to a workplace exposure. We often have this question come up, “Should the company owners be included under the WC policy?”
Reasons to add owners to a WC policy
The benefits are the same for everyone covered under a commercial workers’ compensation policy, but officers many not have thought about these for themselves. Benefits include:
- Lost wage benefits with no waiting period or deductible.
- A death benefit as provided under state law.
- 24 hour coverage on foreign travel.
- If an owner or officer needs to be retrained as a result of an on the job injury, there is coverage for retraining.
- No co-pay like there is under medical insurance.
Reasons not to add owners to a WC policy
- In most cases the cost to add an owner or executive will be considerable. For example, some carriers will assign a mandatory payroll for the executive of around $50,000 (depending on the carrier). This could create an annual premium much higher than other options.
- Disability insurance can be purchased for less than half the above amount.
- Many of the above benefits can be managed through other risk transfer means.
It may not make sense for every owner or officer to consider WC insurance; it should be reviewed and considered periodically. In most cases the cost may be too high for the business to consider. Call our office today. Let one of our workman’s compensation insurance specialist’s help you determine if this is an effective risk transfer tool.
US Select Insurance is an Independent Insurance Agency specializing in writing a complete range of insurance products from Business/Commercial to Personal. Our staff is committed to providing unsurpassed customer service, excellent products, and affordable premiums to our clients.